Trust in God

Last night, I finally watched the movie “Facing the Giants”, which was first released back in 2007 by Sherwood Baptist Church. This is the same church that produced the inspirational Christian movies “Flywheel” and “Fireproof”. Before I go any further, I want to mention that I have had this movie on my DVR for nearly six months. I heard it was a great movie so when I noticed it was being broadcast on TV, I decided to record it and watch it later. I could say that I was just too busy to get to it sooner, but yet I made time to keep up with the typically mindless entertainment I usually watch on TV. (Sports, and a few reality shows)

My initial reaction to the film was that I wished I had watched it sooner. I was moved and inspired by this wonderful story of overcoming fear and putting our total trust in God. I will admit that a few scenes brought tears to my eyes. I don’t want to give away any details in the event that you haven’t watched it yet. I urge you to go and find a copy of this film and watch it if you haven’t done so already. (It is currently available on Netflix.)

While I wish I had watched it sooner, it is no coincidence that I crossed paths with “Facing The Giants” at this particular time in my life. I think that it all has to do with God’s timing. Recently, I have been wrestling with a decision about my career that would have both negative and positive implications on my family life. While this movie obviously did not have the answer to my dilemma, I think it provided me with some clarity on how I should approach this decision. It seems to me that God chose this time for me to watch this to remind me that I should not fear but to trust in Him and know that He will provide.

It is easy to praise God and say we trust in Him when things are going well. But how many of us remember to praise him and trust him during difficult or uncertain times? How many of us think to tell God that no matter what happens, good or bad, I will still love You and worship You? That was the point of “Facing The Giants”. It’s message was simple but powerful: Everything is for His Glory and that we should always turn to Him as our Father who will protect us and provide for us. That has always been a struggle for me. This movie served as yet another reminder from God that it is because of His blessings that I have gotten this far, and He will help me to continue on.

If you haven’t watched “Facing The Giants” yet, I strongly recommend it. In these uncertain times full of economic, political, and social turmoil, we all could benefit from its message of trusting in our loving Father.

I want to leave you with a few quotes from the movie that really touched me. I have also included below a video below that includes scenes and the song "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns from "Facing The Giants".

“Revelation Chapter 3 says: We serve a God that opens doors that no one can shut, and he shuts doors that no one can open. He says: Behold, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Coach Taylor, the Lord is not through with you yet. You still have an open door here, and until the Lord moves you, you're to bloom right where you're planted...”

“I heard a story about two farmers who desperately needed rain. And both of them prayed for rain, but only one of them went out and prepared his fields to receive it. Which one do you think trusted God to send the rain? Well, the one who prepared his fields for it. Which one are you? God will send the rain when He's ready. You need to prepare your field to receive it.”

[In order for God to do great things with this team,] we need to give Him our best in every area. And if we win, we praise Him; and if we lose we praise Him. Either way. We honor Him with our actions and our attitudes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment