He Created Them Male and Female

I'm actually feeling some hesitation about writing this post because the subject matter really makes my blood boil. There are so many things wrong on so many levels in these following news stories that I am not even sure where to start.

I'll begin with the story that has been creating a lot of buzz on the internet over past week:  
 
Parents keep child's gender secret

In the latest episode of "political correctness gone wild", these "enlightened" and "progressive" parents have decided to turn their children into a lab experiment by raising them "free of societal norms regarding gender". They have actually refused to identify the gender of their newborn baby to anyone even family and friends. I can only shake my head is disbelief at these quotes from the parents as they try to rationalize the harm they are doing to their children:
Witterick and Stocker believe they are giving their children the freedom to choose who they want to be, unconstrained by social norms about males and females.
In an age where helicopter parents hover nervously over their kids micromanaging their lives, and tiger moms ferociously push their progeny to get into Harvard, Stocker, 39, and Witterick, 38, believe kids can make meaningful decisions for themselves from a very early age.
“What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It’s obnoxious,” says Stocker.
“In fact, in not telling the gender of my precious baby, I am saying to the world, ‘Please can you just let Storm discover for him/herself what s (he) wants to be?!.” Witterick writes in an email.
Now if this isn't enough proof that our society is spiraling out of control, there is this next story about "Gender Spectrum training" in California: 

Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics

As part of the latest fads in anti-bullying education, children as young as kindergarten in public schools in California are being taught about being transgender as well as the following:
“Gender identity is one’s own sense of themselves. Do they know themselves to be a girl? Do they know themselves to be a boy? Do they know themselves to be a combination?” Baum said. "Gender identity is a spectrum where people can be girls, feel like girls, they feel like boys, they feel like both, or they can feel like neither.”
I have had several reactions going through my mind about these news stories. The first is that my wife and I have sacrificed a lot to put our three children in a Catholic school. While I may not be able to afford the biggest houses or fancy cars or great vacations, I thank God every day for the fact that my children are in a school with a very orthodox Catholic environment. I can sleep easy at night because I know my kids will not get exposed to this politically correct insanity.

Secondly, while I am tempted to harshly criticize the parents in the first story and the educators in the second story for their harmful decisions, I want to focus on the bigger picture. When did gender become a dirty word in our culture? When did having a specific, clearly defined gender become such a negative in our society? In other words, why are we so afraid to let men be men and women be women?

My point is that God "created them male and female." (Genesis 5:2) God created specific roles for men and women. In His infinite wisdom, He created gender for very specific reasons. This was so beautifully detailed by Blessed John Paul II in the Theology of the Body. We are all created in the Father's image and likeness and our body, including our gender, is an integral part of who we are along with our soul. These parents and educators, by believing that gender is something we feel or should decide for ourselves, are making the same mistake that Adam and Eve made in the Garden of Eden. It is the basis of all sin. Rather than submit to the will of God, we foolishly think we know more than God and choose to follow our own wills. We want become our own gods when we think that gender and sexuality is something we can determine more appropriately than the Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment