Dancing With Polar Opposites

I have to confess that I occasionally watch Dancing With the Stars with my wife. While I was watching the show's latest season premiere a couple of weeks ago, I observed something rather interesting about two contestants, former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner, and MTV's Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino. In these two men, we see the classic examples of one man striving to life his faith while the other is intoxicated on the unhealthy pleasures of this world.

For those who may not be familiar, Kurt Warner is the retired NFL quarterback who led the St. Louis Rams to become Superbowl Champions in 2000. He also led the Arizona Cardinals to their first Superbowl in 2008. Warner and his wife have 7 children and are devout Christians who have spoken out against issues such as embryonic stem cell research. They have spent a lot of time and resources helping the developmentally disabled and creating the First Things First Foundation which aids the poor and sick children and their families. Kurt Warner is a great example of what it means to use the talents and blessings given to us by God to help our less fortunate brothers and sisters. Warner is very outspoken about his faith and was once quoted as saying:
 "If you ever really want to do a story about who I am, God's got to be at the center of it. Every time I hear a piece or read a story that doesn't have that, they're missing the whole lesson of who I am."


Calling Mike "The Situation Sorrentino a polar opposite is an understatement. He is cast member of The Jersey Shore. I have never seen it and refuse to watch it. I have heard enough about it to turn my stomach. This reality show, produced by the smut peddlers on MTV, portrays Sorrentino and his roommates in New Jersey living their lives centered on night clubs, partying, drinking, promiscuity, and countless hours in front of a mirror worshiping themselves. I have been tempted to watch the show just to see how many of the seven deadly sins they can commit in one episode. Just from what I have heard, lust, greed, pride, and sloth are regulars on the Jersey Shore. I know I shouldn't be judgmental, but this show has been all over the media, and just by reading these reports and looking at the pictures, I don't think I am very far off the mark on my assessment.

When I first saw both of these men on Dancing with the Stars, the stark contrast between the two really struck me and I new I wanted to write something about it. The one thing that comes to mind as I try to put my thoughts into words is Luke 16:13
"No servant can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." 
It's obvious who Kurt Warner has chosen to serve and who Mike Sorrentino is following. What is truly sad about this whole situation is how many kids may be influenced by the "Situation" and the Jersey Shore. Unfortunately we live in dark times where people like Warner are often mocked for their faith and called "fanatics" and those like Sorrentino are glamorized and made into celebrities. One can only hope that as Mike Sorrentino gets older, he will gain the wisdom and humility needed to get off the dangerous path he is on now. I am personally cheering for Kurt Warner to win this competition for the simple reason that we need to put the spotlight on heroes like him, men who constantly strive to put God above all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment